This plane was developed in 1915 to succeed the unsuccessful AEG C.III. It was derived directly from the AEG C.II, with which it had much resemblance.
It differs from the AEG C.II in the large wingspan and the engine. Noteworthy was the somewhat sharp cowling and the large exhaust pipe, pointing upwards above the upper wing.
The first C.IV's entered German service in 1916 and the type was still in use during 1918.
A further development was the AEG C.IVN, a night bomber, produced in 1917. This type had a larger wingspan.
An other version was the AEG C.IVA, equipped with an Argus engine of 180 hp.
|Length:||7,15 m||Wing span:||13,46 m|
|Height:||3,35 m||Wing surface:||39 m2|
|Empty weight:||802 kg||Full Weight:||1120 kg|
|Max. speed:||158 km/hr||Rate of climb:|
|Reach:||450 km||Service level:||5000 m|
|Engine:||One 160 pk Mercedes D.III|
|Crew:||One pilot plus one observer/air gunner|
|Armament:||One fixed Spandau LMG-08/15 machinegun plus one rotating Parabellum MG-14 machine gun. A bomb load of 100 kg max.|