In service with NEIAF.
In 1913 the PVA ((ProefVliegAfdeeling = Test Flight Department) of the KNIL (Koninklijk Nederlandsch-Indisch Leger = Royal Netherlands-Indies Army) was founded. After a couple less successful tests with different aircraft, two Martin TA (Tractor Army) were ordered in may 1915 at the Glenn L . Martin Company, a rather new aircraft factory in the USA. Both floats as a wheel landing gear were ordered.
The first TA was delivered in June 1915 and was registered TA-1. The second aircraft was delivered soon and was registered TA-2. Both aircraft were test thoroughly in the USA by LT. Ter Poorten. Army base Tandjong Priok was in the meantime extended with an airstrip and some sheds. November 1915 both aircraft, with floats, were ready for their first flight in the Dutch East Indies. Soon Lt. Ter Poorten flew to Rawah Penganongan.
February 8, 1916, TA-1 was modified and equipped with wheels and made the first flight from the brand new airfield Kalidjati.
February 14, 1916 TA-1 crashed during a demonstration flight with army commander Lt.Generaal Michielsen and Lt. Ter Poorten. Shortly after take-off the aircraft crashed, killing Michielsen, Ter Poorten was heavily injured.
August 8, 1916 another flight with TA-2 was made. The aircraft was hardly used because of a buckled (wooden) propeller. Also the engine was overhauled. During this flight the engine proofed not to be fine and was serviced again at an local garage. At the next test flight, made by Hilgers, was on September 15, 1916. The engine exploded, but Hilgers managed to land safely.