Taylorcraft L-2 Grasshopper
The Taylorcraft factory developed in 1941 the Model D tandem trainer designed for artillery observation and light transport and courier services.
After a successful evaluation by the US Army of four examples under the designation YO-57, 70 Taylorcraft O-57 Grasshopper were ordered. These were equipped with a Continental O 170-3 engine rated 65 hp.
Soon 336 examples of a modified version, designated O-57A, was ordered with a radio and extra cockpit glazing.
During the second world war, the aircraft was used by the Army Air Force for directing artillery fire. It was also used for liaison tasks, the ability to take off and land on rough landing zone came in handy. In 1942 the two variants were subsequently referred to as L-2 and L-2A.
A later version was the L-2B, especially for artillery observation, of which 490 were built and a variant with wing spoilers and a fully-cooled engine, the L-2M, of which 900 were ordered.
A number of civilian models, a few of which had been built, were "claimed" and received designations of L-2C to L-2L.
Also 253 gliders were still designated as ST-100, built on the basis of the L-2 for use as a glider trainers.
After the war some L-2s were passed to foreign air forces, many aircraft went into civilian hands.
|Length:||6,9 m||Wingspan:||10,8 m|
|Height:||2 m||Wing area:||- m2|
|Empty weight:||309 kg||Max. start weight:||544 kg|
|Max. speed:||150 km/hr||Rate of climb:||1070 m/min|
|Range:||370 km||Service ceiling:||3170 m|
|Engine type:||One Lycoming Contintental O-170-3 rated 65 hp|