This heavy, long-distance three seat scout was designed in 1927 in response to LVA requirements for a scout.
In December of the same year an order followed for Fokker, who built the aircraft in close cooperation with the LVA.
In the summer of 1928 the C.VIII was completed and it met all LVA requirements.
On August 29, 1928 it entered service with registration 651. Rather unusual at that time was Fokker also delivered the engine, a Hispano-Suiza of 600 hp.
The Fokker C.VIII was a high-wing parasol, the pilot was sitting in front of the wing, the two observers sat in a row behind the wing.
Between the two observers was a so called "office" was decorated with room for a desk, cameras and the like.
The armament they had access to was a rotating machine gun on a Scarff ring called the rear observer and a machine gun in the bottom for the forward observer.
Fokker later developed a seaplane version of the C.VIII, designated C.VIIIw, which had incorporated many improvements. This type was delivered to the RNlNAS (MLD).
In 1933 Fokker offered an improved version, but this was not accepted
|Height:||- m||Wing area:||- m2|
|Empty weight:||1650 kg||Max. start weight:||2500 kg|
|Max. speed:||230 km/hr||Rate of climb:||- m/min|
|Range:||670 km||Service ceiling:||6500 m|
|Engine:||One Hispano Suiza HS-12Lb rated 650 pk|
- Next >>