The forerunner of the G. III was a successful bomber in 1917 was succeeded by the Friedrichshafen G. III (factory designation FF.45).
It was taller and had a larger wingspan than its predecessor.
G. II tended to head stand when landing; at the G III, this was compensated by adding a nose wheel.
Furthermore the G.II had two more powerful Mercedes D.IVa engines of 260 horsepower each, so a bomb load of 1000 kg could be carried.
- Friedrichshafen G. IIIa:
- had a modified wing, which improved handling in flight on one engine. Furthermore, a third machine gun was added for defence against night fighters.
- Friedrichshafen G. IIIb:
- was a further modified version, the rear gunner having now a connection with the rest of the crew.
After the war, various G.IIIs were adapted and used as passenger aircraft.
|Length:||7,15 m||Wing span:||13,46 m|
|Height:||3,35 m||Wing surface:||39 m2|
|Empty weight:||802 kg||Full Weight:||1120 kg|
|Max. speed:||158 km/hr||Rate of climb:||- m/min|
|Reach:||450 km||Service level:||5000 m|
|Engine:||One 160 pk Mercedes D.III|
|Crew:||One pilot plus one observer/air gunner|
|Armament:||One fixed Spandau LMG-08/15 machine-gun plus one rotating Parabellum MG-14 machine-gun. A bomb-load of 100 kb max.|