Early 1917 IDFlieg released a specification for a new aircraft type, CL. This type was meant to escort reconnaissance aircraft an for ground attacks.
Halberstadt developed an CL type based upon the rather unsuccessful Halberstadt D.IV fighter.
It was a wooden single engined biplane, with a machine gun for the gunner/observer. The Cl.II was approved in may 1917 and entered production.
Halberstadt built about 700 examples and BFW, Bayerische Flugzeug-Werke, built 200 examples.
- CL.II: main production version, equipped with a 150 hp Mercedes D.III engine.
- CL.IIa: equipped with a BMW IIIa engine. Few were built for testing purposes.
|Length:||7,5 m||Wingspan:||10,77 m|
|Height:||2,75 m||Wing area:||- m2|
|Empty weight:||773 kg||Max. start weight:||1133 kg|
|Max. speed:||165 km/hr||Climbing speed:||5 min to 100 m|
|Cruising speed:||- km/hr|
|Range:||3 hours||Service ceiling:||5100 m|
|Engine type:||Rated Mercedes D-III van 160 hp|
|Crew:||Two men; one aviator plus one observer/air gunner|
|Armament:||One or two fixed forward firing 7,9 mm Spandau LMG 08/15 machine gun plus one movable 7,9 mm Parabellum MG 14 machine gun.|